[slime-devel] SBCL's with-timeout failed with slime-input-stream

Jianshi Huang jianshi.huang at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 05:21:14 UTC 2010

Hi Attila,

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Attila Lendvai <attila.lendvai at gmail.com> wrote:
>>    (sb-ext:with-timeout 1 (read *standard-input*))
>
> with-deadline also doesn't work from inside slime, but generally you
> should prefer that to with-timeout in production systems.

Thanks for the advice.  Being able to restrict the signal in specific
code block is very nice.

> (with-timeout is not safe due to async unwinds at random points in the
> code (unless the entire codebase is prepared for that)).

That makes sense, and I suppose using without-interrupts is
unacceptable in the body part.

Since the part I want timeouts are all IO function calls, I think it
should be safe. But I think I'd better use with-deadline. :)

--
Jianshi