[slime-devel] CVS and friends

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 16:11:36 UTC 2010

On 8/23/10 1:52 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:
> * dherring at tentpost.com [2010-08-23 15:54] writes:

>> IMNSHO, there were no justifiable reasons for using CVS in 2005, much less
>> in 2010.  The choice of VCS has ramifications to end-users and potential
>> developers.

It would certainly be nice if there were One True VCS in 2010 instead of
the multiplicity of VCSs now.

> Well, Emacs switched from CVS to Bzr a while back.  For someone like me
> who essentially only needs "cvs up" once in a while the switch was a net
> loss.  What used to take 2 minutes and downloaded 5 MB with CVS takes
> now 20 minutes and 200 MB.  My urge to update is no pretty much zero.

As a slime luser, I certainly like being able to cvs up and get slime in
a few (tens?) of seconds.  I don't have much experience with other VCSs,
but I didn't particularly like how long it took to grab asdf2 via git.

Anyway, that's my micropayment on this subject.

Ray