[slime-devel] sub & superscript faces in .lisp files

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Wed Apr 21 14:55:01 UTC 2010

* Mirko Vukovic [2010-04-20 02:30+0200] writes:

> My question is whether I need to specify a group in the `defface'
> commands.  For example:
> (defface superscript
>   '((t :height 0.8));;suscript-height))
>   "Face used for superscripts."
>   :group 'slime-mode-faces)
>
> I found several groups in slime.el, and I am not sure which one to
> apply in defface.

The :group attribute is only used by the customization machinery it has
no effect on the face itself.  It's not even required.  If you use this
code just for yourself you don't need to do anything.  If you want to
share it than it's more important that you add some prefix rather than
"superscript" alone; that avoids name clashes.

When your package gets bigger you will most likely already have a name
for the package and also define a customization group with the same name
or you can use one of the general groups like "slime" or "lisp".

Helmut