[slime-devel] Emacs menus and warnings

Alex Goncharov alex-goncharov at comcast.net
Sat Apr 17 17:43:36 UTC 2010

,--- You/Mark (Sat, 17 Apr 2010 01:14:42 -0400) ----*
| > With this minimal .el, the problem exists for me (an empty SLIME
| > menu):

| I installed your initialization code (modified for my `load-path' and
| Lisp implementation) and started it with Emacs 23.1 and the latest
| revisions of SLIME's files in its CVS repository, and started Emacs
| with

Thanks for trying it all!

|   emacs -Q --load your-slime-init.el
|
| I did not see the problems that you are seeing with menus.
|
| Some things to try:
|
| - Be sure that you're specifying '-Q' or '--quick' to Emacs to
|   eliminate the possibility that some other Emacs-Lisp code is
|   interfering with your initialization code, above.

It was with -Q.

| - Delete all compiled Emacs-Lisp files (*.elc) in your SLIME directory
|   tree.

I had deleted "them" (in fact there was only one: slime.elc -- i.e. I
deleted that file.)

| - Check the *Messages* buffer for any error messages that might
|   provide some information about why SLIME is not working.

Did check that and other buffers -- no messages to talk about.

Why your run may be different from mine:

  1. I am on FreeBSD.

  2. I use Emacs built from the source.

Now, with your experience reported, I just tried another Emacs mode, SQL,
and found that it also adds empty menus for me now (it was not the
case in the past.)

Never mind then; I hoped to hear a simple tip on a variable or method
in SLIME code that adds menus, from people well familiar with the
code, but I will just explore this on my own.

Thank you again for your help!

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov at comcast.net --