[slime-devel] [CLSQL] Slime, CLSQL, and reader macros

Patrick May patrick.may at mac.com
Fri Apr 2 17:20:01 UTC 2010

On Apr 1, 2010, at 2:10 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:
> * Patrick May [2010-04-01 19:59+0200] writes:
>> 	Interesting.  I tried this with SBCL and it worked.  Why would
>> 	ccl64 behave differently?  (Code below.)
>
> Probably because *readtable* is a only modified in the per-thread
> binding in CCL and if you only change it in the repl thread other
> threads don't see that.

	Thanks for the explanation.  The problem seems to be with my mental model of how Slime is working.

	My mental model was that when I evaluate forms in the code buffer, the evaluation takes place in the REPL, since that's where I see the results (except for those displayed in the minibuffer).

	Since that model was clearly incorrect, I did the unthinkable and read the manual.  Sure enough, section 3.1.3 discusses swank:*default-worker-thread-bindings* and even mentions issues with printer and reader behavior.  Section 6.2.1 touches on similar issues with swank:*communication-style*.

	My goal is to have my development and testing in Slime reflect exactly what will happen when I run the same code in the same file from the command line.  I see three possible ways of achieving this:

1)  Configure Clozure to behave more like SBCL, if possible.
2)  Use swank:*default-worker-thread-bindings* externally to the file somehow.
3)  Set swank:*communication-style* to :fd-handler.

Are there other solutions?  What is my best option?  What are the drawbacks to using :fd-handler?

Thanks,

Patrick