[slime-devel] symbol completion case sensitive

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Wed Sep 2 08:36:45 UTC 2009

* Nick Levine [2009-09-01 11:02+0200] writes:

> Basic symbol completion is case sensitive: MAKE-INSTAN won't
> complete.

The point of the simple completion algorithm is that is simple and not
to guess whatever case folding you might have wanted.  It assumes and
encourages consistent use of lower case.

> (Given that CL symbol names are upper cased, this is broken
> as well as annoying).

Well, writing source code in upper case is out of fashion since a
century or so.  I don't consider this a bug.

> Compound completion can handle MAKE-INSTAN but not Make-instan.

If the input contains both upper and lower case chars then compound
completion assumes that you want exact matches without case folding.

Helmut