[slime-devel] Restart Numbering

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 10:39:10 UTC 2009

> If you read carefully upthread I've stated in this thread is MY
> experience and MY usage scenario, which I have been carefully qualified.
> What makes you think I've extrapolated anything?

the fact that you speak up zealously after reading a commit log and
admitting that you not even tried the patch. because it's either the
result of extrapolation of you preferences to others, or ignoring the
fact that there are other preferences. i don't think you ignore
others, so i kinda assume the former. (but don't worry, the latter is
also very human, i also do that sometimes, unfortunately).

> Tobias seems to recognize that the others usage scenarios are results of
> miscoding/not understanding how restart contours work.

sure. so you say that it's a mistake that stefil installs some restart
when a test (an instrumented defun) is invoked, like rerun that
specific test.

keep in mind that tests (defun's) can call each other to any number of
times, and i in no ways want to keep track of the available restarts
to wrap places where an error can from with a reversed (restart-case
...). let alone it's not possible either because errors can come from
anywhere, not only from stefil's own assertion macros.

for me, tcr's example of the restart-case around the error call was
meant to be irony. errors can come from just about anywhere, not only
from your own error calls.

> |> And if we are at it, why does SLDB give a number for restarts which do
> |> already have a 1 keystroke keybinding?
> |> q, a, c could just be written in place of the numbers, and those
> |> numbers could be saved for other restarts... but this would be my
> |> personal taste and I'm sure you can find arguments in your taste
> |> against it.
>
> Because of consistency, you always want to invoke the innermost restart
> with 0. This is not always Q.

no, sorry, but i don't. :)

because of consistency *i* always want the kill-thread restart be 0.

--
 attila

ps: but i'll number restarts the way i prefer in my own copy of slime
on my hard drive, so...