[slime-devel] Standard output no longer appears in REPL

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue May 5 09:23:50 UTC 2009

Mark Harig wrote:
>> (setq `SWANK:*GLOBALLY-REDIRECT-IO*' t)
>>
> Small correction: the above expression should not have the quotes.
>
> It should read:
>
> (setq SWANK:*GLOBALLY-REDIRECT-IO* t)

Placing this statement in a newly created 'site-init.lisp' in the SLIME
top directory might be a slightly less non-intrusive place that will
co-exist if you update your SLIME from CVS to chase HEAD.  Just setting
this variable in the REPL after SLIME loads won't do the right thing.

Creating such a binding in 'site-init.lisp' now makes *STANDARD-OUTPUT*
go to the REPL buffer for me under CLISP, ECL, and ABCL (ABCL seems to
be missing a newline somehow, but other than that it works).

But needing to set *GLOBALLY-REDIRECT-IO* like this contradicts the
behavior of SBCL (and presumably any inferior Lisp using a non-NIL
*COMMUNICATION-STYLE*):  for these implementation, *STANDARD-OUTPUT*
always goes to the REPL buffer regardless of the setting of
*GLOBALLY-REDIRECT-IO*.

is nothing to compare to it now."