[slime-devel] Slime with ECL startup bug

Geo Carncross geocar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 21:27:51 UTC 2009

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2809483&group_id=30035&atid=398053

> Full slime output can be downloaded from here
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php?group_id=30035&atid=398053&file_id=331688&aid=2809483
>
> I have last versions of ECL (from GIT) and Slime (from CVS), and upgrade
> them every day. Emacs-22.3
> System x86_64 GNU/Linux. Gentoo.

Hi Ghost99,

I think your original bug report was somewhat lacking, and perhaps you
misunderstood the message. I'll try and explain:

* GIT ECL is presently seeing a lot of changes to the ECL compiler(s)
* CVS Slime and GIT ECL are reported to work

I think the first problem was that the bug report didn't make it clear
you were using CVS Slime and GIT ECL; I reported that they work to the
ECL mailing list a few days ago and checked in the current swank-ecl
shortly thereafter, so *I*'d be the one who broke it if it's due to
slime/swank changes, and *that* is what the bug reply was referring to
when it said:

"Patches were submitted to the Slime maintainers and so far it seems
they work, but they might only be available in CVS"

Your problem is likely related to either a bug in ECL's compiler on
AMD64, or a bug related to Gentoo's ebuild of either slime or ecl. Try
removing the ebuild'd packages and building ECL according to the
website directions, then do a fresh checkout of slime and point emacs
at it. If your problem persists, forward your bug request to the
ebuild maintainer, otherwise, please join the ecl mailing list and let
them know there that you're having a problem with ECL's compiler on
AMD64 building CVS slime.

I'm CCing the ECL list so that they can be aware of this too.