[slime-devel] Invalid characters and contrib/slime-repl.el

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Jun 26 15:25:03 UTC 2009

* Mark Cox [2009-06-25 06:38+0200] writes:

> Hi slime-devel,
>
> When an invalid character is sent to the remote lisp from the REPL, an
> error is signalled leaving the cursor in a funny position. The
> following patch to SLIME-REPL-EVAL-STRING fixes that by calling
> the :abort result handler.

I assume that you entered a non-encodable character.  If that's the case
then nothing was sent and nothing was evaluated on the remote Lisp.  I
don't think that this is a very common situation and would just leave
everything as it is.  The cursor may be in a funny position but pressing
return brings everything back to normal.  Users who enter a lot of funny
characters can use utf8 as encoding to avoid this problem.

> Is there a case for putting this error handling in SLIME-DISPATCH-
> EVENT (:emacs-rex path) so all components get the :abort message when
> an error in transmission occurs?

I don't think so.  slime-dispatch-event doesn't look like the
right place for dealing with encoding problems and the :abort
continuation even less so.