[slime-devel] Threads attributes

Terje Norderhaug terje at in-progress.com
Tue Jun 23 17:29:51 UTC 2009

On Jun 22, 2009, at 11:18 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
> Terje Norderhaug <terje at in-progress.com> writes:
>
>> The  slimefun swank:list-threads currently provides only four values
>> for each thread, namely id, name, status and description.
>>
>> However, it would be useful to have a generalized interface to other
>> information about threads, such as their priority, creation time,
>> idle time, and total run time.
>
> The idea is to compute a description string which contains such data.

A swank client (like slime) will have a hard time extracting thread
data from such a human readable description string.

Swank may very well continue to provide a description of each thread,
but the same data should also be passed on to the swank client in a
form that can easily be made sense out of by code. Generally,
separate the content from the presentation. This will allow swank
clients to display or use the information in alternative ways.

For example, I am building a Processes Inspector that uses data from
a swank server to display a table of the threads on the remote LISP
(this screenshot is for real, not a mock up):