[slime-devel] What does swank do with streams?

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Thu Jun 4 20:37:33 UTC 2009

* mikel evins [2009-06-04 20:40+0200] writes:

> When the CCL Cocoa app starts up, it also starts its glass TTY
> process, AltConsole. It creates a socket pair, connecting AltConsole's
> standard output, standard input, and standard error to one end of the
> socket, and CCL's *TERMINAL-IO* to the other end. We require the
> ability to guarantee the integrity of those stream connections. Is
> there a way to guarantee that integrity when swank is loaded and a
> server created? I'm perfectly willing to change CCL code or swank code
> to accomplish it, if need be. One way or another, though, that
> integrity is a requirement at our end.

As long as you set swank:*globally-redirect-io* to nil (in ~/.swank.lisp
or before calling swank-loader:init) it should be pretty save to load
Swank.  Setting swank:*global-debugger* to nil is probably also a good
idea.  Additionally you can make swank::with-io-redirection a noop to
prevent Swank from dynamically rebinding stream variables.  If all this
doesn't help than the problem is probably not related to Swank's
streams.