[slime-devel] What does swank do with streams?

mikel evins mevins at mac.com
Tue Jun 2 15:31:24 UTC 2009

I realize the question in the subject line is not specific enough to
elicit useful answers. I need to ask some questions about how swank
uses streams, so that I can ensure that forthcoming changes to CCL
coexist with swank in a civil fashion. Unfortunately, I don't know
enough about swank to ask intelligent questions.

Basically, what's happening is that we're working on some changes to
CCL that are intended to make inspection and debugging of running
Cocoa apps more reliable and convenient. In the course of that work,
some of the Clozure hackers have noticed inputs and outputs going to
unexpected places when swank servers are running. They're complaining
about streams getting snatched out from under them.

Doubtless this is because we don't properly understand what swank is
doing with the streams. I frankly don't know how to frame an
intelligent question on this subject, because I don't know enough
about what swank is trying to accomplish and how it's going about it.
So, what questions should I ask? My goal is to ensure that CCL
controls the standard streams in a way it can rely on, while still
allowing a swank server to be created and run.

If you guys would help me zero in on the right questions to ask you
about swank's operation, I'd appreciate it.

-me