[slime-devel] How to support a new interpreter?

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Thu Jul 23 16:26:41 UTC 2009

* Tobias C. Rittweiler [2009-07-23 13:35+0200] writes:

> Java puts the backtrace in the Exception object that is thrown. So while
> the stack is actually unwinded, all the information is there for the
> Swank server to process the user requests from Slime like showing frame
> locals etc. (It can't support restarting a computation, of course.)

I'm pretty sure that arguments and locals aren't there.  Well, maybe
some JVMs include them, but java.lang.StackTraceElement has no methods
to access them.  It must already be expensive to fill in the limited
stacktrace that is present in Sun's JVM so maybe it would be possible to
include them.  OTOH, a hacker could walk the stack to find security
holes.

Helmut