[slime-devel] XEmacs support

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Sat Jul 4 17:34:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 10:58:59 -0500
farlies <farlies at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tried switching to gnu-emacs several times in the
> last 5 year, and invariably come crawling back to XEmacs,
> usually after spending fruitless hours trying to get fonts and
> other visual features to look acceptable in gnu-emacs (Linux).
> Have tried running both on the same system: bad mistake.

Was this with the x11 option?  If so, it's probably worthwile
experimenting in console with a fancy terminal like gnome-terminal and
antialiased ttf fonts like Bitstream Vera Sans Mono (even xterm does
pretty well with ttf DejaVu Sans Mono and utf-8 nowadays).  Of course,
this is independent of fontification settings, however.  I've never
used its X11 mode personally but some screenshots suggest it is very
crude.

An example of a session in utf-8 xterm with DejaVu Sans Mono truetype
font, customized colors in ~/.Xdefaults and minimal fontification
modification (a script helps to make parens less visible) is at
http://mmondor.pulsar-zone.net/img_gallery/screenshots/lisp-iolib-test5.png

Thanks,
--
Matt