[slime-devel] wielding slime-load-system in .emacs

d thompson thompdump at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 18:47:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 17:33:42 +0100, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:

> david thompson <thompdump at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I don't spend much time meditating on the internals of slime and
>> thought this felt about right...
>>     (add-hook 'slime-connected-hook (lambda ()
>> 				      (slime-load-system 'foo)))
>>
>> However, slime doesn't like it and complains: The variable
>> SWANK-IO-PACKAGE::FOO is unbound.
>>
>> What's the 'right' way to do it?
>>
>> Thanks for your time and assistance,
>>
>> Alan
>
> What are you trying to achieve? Placing
>
>   (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :foo)
>
> into your ~/.swank.lisp may be more appropriate than the frobbage your
> trying there.
>
>   -T.

Thanks for the response. I have a conditional in my .emacs that allows the user
to select a 'profile' during startup (see below) -- the idea is to have emacs
open a set of dirs, files... whatever that I'll be working on...

I was hoping to extend things to include loading a 'profile-specific' set of
ASDF systems (in SLIME) for several of the 'profiles'.

- Alan

(let ((profile
       (read-from-minibuffer "Choose a profile (lisp,acad,rpg,tl): ")))
  (cond
   ((string-match "acad" profile)
    (dired "/home/thomp/academic/papers"))
   ((string-match "rpg" profile)
    (setup-slime)
    (find-file "/home/thomp/rp-geneval.lisp")
    (dired "/home/thomp/computing/lisp/rp-geneval/rp-geneval")
    ;; sure would be great to ensure asdf systems loaded here...
    )
   ((string-match "dist" profile)
    (setup-slime)
    (lisp-miscellany)
    (dired  "/home/thomp/computing/lisp/dat-dist/dat-dist")
    ;; sure would be nice to ensure asdf systems loaded here...
    )
    ... etc.