[slime-devel] text properties in REPL

Madhu enometh at meer.net
Sat Jan 10 04:08:28 UTC 2009

* Helmut Eller <m2skokh60z.fsf at common-lisp.net> :
Wrote on Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:24:12 +0100:

| * Madhu [2008-12-19 02:00+0100] writes:
|
|> I could come up with them, but I do not see the point of posting them
|> here.  I can come up with 3 different arguments [not based on validity
|> but based on projections of your ego] as to how you can reject them.
|
| Your arguments don't prove that text properties have any effect on
| rendering speed.  If you can't show me reproducible benchmarks I don't
| believe it.

Nevertheless it is important to me that I can control whether or not
text properties are set.

The current API and is a mess to support this.  And the direction you
are taking SLIME in with your style of refactoring code does not help.

I understand you believe it makes it easier for you to maintain SLIME
but it is at the expense of others maintining other behaviours possible
from SLIME, or using it in ways you cannot [because of limitations]
imagine or [because of politics] agree with.  In effect it makes the
work of others working with slime except as end users much harder, while
fortifying your own position as maintainer.

--
Madhu