[slime-devel] swank:*sldb-printer-bindings* binding *print-lines* to 10

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sun Jan 4 21:25:34 UTC 2009

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

> * Tobias C. Rittweiler [2009-01-04 17:27+0100] writes:
>
>> Is there a particular reason why SWANK:*SLDB-PRINTER-BINDINGS* binds
>> *PRINT-LINES* to 10 instead of NIL?
>
> Some limit seems reasonable to stop the debugger from producing
> megabytes of output just for the error message.  Think of printing the
> contents of a bitvector.  10 is more or less arbitrary.  But what is the
> maximum length of good error message?

It seems to me that neither *PRINT-RIGHT-MARGIN* nor *PRINT-LINES*
affect pretty-printing of a bit vector. At least I can't get it to work.

I'd favor reducing *PRINT-LEVEL* and *PRINT-LENGTH* if necessary but
binding *PRINT-LINE* to NIL.

(Alternative would be to provide a keybinding that makes the condition
be printed in full.)

  -T.

PS:

 (defvar *bitv* (make-array '(1000)