[slime-devel] slime-repl does not appear

Jeff Caldwell jeffrey.d.caldwell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 18:02:13 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm have a fresh 32-bit Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) install. I obtained
both the 2009-01-03 and 2009-01-04 slime tarfile / cvs snapshot. Both
of them exhibit the same issue. With both SBCL and CMUCL, the slime
repl does not appear. The inferior lisp window is displayed. The
'connected' message, along with its jaunty colloquial appendage, shows
in the mini-buffer. Sometimes I would get a swank disconnected (end of
file) message on a socket, other times it appeared as if there were no
error-related messages at all.

I did 'apt-get slime', pointed to that one, and it works. This is
Emacs 22.2.1. I believe the apt repository's version comes from
2008-02-23.

Is the comment in that slime.el that "SLIME is compatible with GNU
Emacs 20 and 21" still valid, i.e. is slime not compatible with Emacs
22? (Even if so, that doesn't explain why the apt version does work
while the cvs version does not, other than that the change may have
been intentional.)

Jeff