[slime-devel] bracket matching

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Thu Feb 5 11:41:38 UTC 2009

* Adam [2009-02-05 11:47+0100] writes:

> Hi,
> I'm setting up emacs/slime for the first time and I'm having some
> difficulties getting automatic bracket matching to work. I watched Marco
> Baringer's lisp video and I've got most of the useful features working
> like tab auto-completion and hyperspec lookup for example, but brackets
> don't seem to matched automatically like they were in Marco's video.
> For example whenever an opening bracket was typed a closing bracket
> would be inserted after the cursor, but this doesn't happen in my
> emacs/slime configuration.

Paren matching is a standard Emacs feature not something specific to
Slime.  You can enable it with something like (show-paren-mode t) in
your .emacs.  Depending on the Emacs version, there is also an item the
"Options" menu.  `M-x customize-option show-paren-mode' will also work.
In Emcas 23 it's enable by default.

There is also a slightly different feature called "paren blinking" which
moves the cursor temporarily back to the opening paren when the closing
) is inserted.  That's useful if you work on a black&white terminal.