[slime-devel] sbc.core-with-swank

Sebastian Tennant sebyte at smolny.plus.com
Sat Aug 22 05:08:25 UTC 2009

Quoth Sebastian Tennant <sebyte at smolny.plus.com>:
> Mine is a standard sbcl installation ($ ./install.sh) yet I can only get this
> speed-up to work if I provide an absolute path to the core:
>
>    ("sbcl" "--core" "/usr/local/lib/sbcl/sbcl.core-with-swank")
>
> What am I missing?

Just came across this in sbcl's INSTALL file:

 1.2. Finding ancillary files

   The SBCL runtime needs to be able to find the ancillary files associated
   with it: the "sbcl.core" file, and the contrib modules.

   Finding core can happen in three ways:

     1. By default, in a location configured when the system was built.  For
        binary distributions this is in "/usr/local/lib/sbcl".

     2. By environment variable, in the directory named by the
        environment variable "SBCL_HOME". Example:

          $ export SBCL_HOME=/foo/bar/lib/sbcl
          $ sbcl

        If your "INSTALL_ROOT" was FOO, then your "SBCL_HOME" is
        "FOO/lib/sbcl".

     3. By command line option:

          $ sbcl --core /foo/bar/sbcl.core

This suggests that when the --core command-line option is used, an absolute
path is precisely what is needed, and the fact that I can't get the inferior
lisp process to run without specifying an absolute path (despite the fact my
sbcl.core-with-swank is in the 'default location') pretty much seals it for me.

The Slime manual suggests otherwise though (info "(slime) Loading Swank faster"):

 Then add this to your `.emacs':

      (setq slime-lisp-implementations
            '((sbcl ("sbcl" "--core" "sbcl.core-with-swank")
                    :init (lambda (port-file _)
                            (format "(swank:start-server %S)\n" port-file)))))

Could someone clarify this situation?

Sebastian
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.