[slime-devel] Emacs 23 and slow compilation output

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Tue Aug 11 15:39:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Constantine Vetoshev wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:15:48 -0400
> From: Constantine Vetoshev <gepardcv at gmail.com>
> To: slime-devel at common-lisp.net
> Subject: [slime-devel] Emacs 23 and slow compilation output
>
> I just installed Emacs 23.1 (Mac OS, if that matters), and I noticed
> that the *SLIME Compilation* buffer's fontification became horribly
> slow. Whenever I run slime-compile-defun, for example, I get this:
>
> Fontifying *SLIME
> Compilation*... (regexps...............................................)
>
> Whereas the compilation itself takes "0.00 secs" according to the
> messages, this fontification takes probably 3-5 seconds. This never
> happened under Emacs 22.3.
>
> I tried disabling everything in my .emacs.d/init.el file, and I also
> tried turning off everything in slime-setup except the REPL:
>
> (slime-setup '(slime-repl))
>
> No dice, it's all still slow. SLIME is latest from CVS. Is there
> anything I can do to fix this?
>
> --
> Regards,                                                         (concatenate
> Constantine Vetoshev                              'string (mapcar #'code-char
>                                          (reverse '(109 111 99 46 108 105 97
>                                 109 103 64 118 99 100 114 97 112 101 103))))

Just a thought... maybe try compiling emacs 23 without xft support (if
that is an option on a Mac).  You lose antialiasing; you gain font
control via ~/.Xdefaults, and probably much faster font rendering.

I have been noticing some pretty big bugs in emacs 23.  For instance,
if I want to customize some options, a *Customize Apropos* buffer gets
opened, but the contents do not end up there, but instead they get
written to whatever buffer I had on top at the time.  My point is that
the problem may be emacs 23, not slime.  Emacs 23 is certainly a
variable, at any rate.

Carlos