[slime-devel] Standard output no longer appears in REPL

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sat Apr 11 08:26:51 UTC 2009

Steven E. Harris wrote:
> It's been a couple of months since I last used SLIME. Today I noticed
> that when I evaluate expressions in the REPL that write to
> *standard-output*, the output appears in the *inferior-lisp* buffer, but
> not in the REPL as it used to.
>
> I'm using GNU Emacs on Windows atop the CLISP Cygwin build. SLIME is up
> to date with CVS. Is there some new configuration required to restore
> the old behavior with output streams feeding into the REPL output?

I can confirm that the same problem exists on CLISP 2.47 on
x64-darwin-9.6.0.  It also occurs in ABCL and ECL, both of which use the
  NIL SWANK::*COMMUNICATION-STYLE*.

I don't have a fix, but the same problem has been occurring with ABCL
on-and-off for the past half-year.  The latest change that broke this
for ABCL was the move of WITH-CONNECTION in 'swank.lisp' from
MAKE-REPL-INPUT-STREAM to SIMPLE-SERVE-REQUESTS at Fri Mar 27 21:49:49
2009 with the ChangeLog comment:

2009-03-27  Helmut Eller  <heller at common-lisp.net>

	* swank.lisp (encode-message): Handle errors during write, e.g.
	closed sockets.

I thought this was some problem inside ABCL's implementation dealing
with compiling closures, but now that its occurring in other
implementations,  I would suggest reverting the 2009-03-27 change.

Mark <evenson at panix.com>

is nothing to compare to it now."