[slime-devel] Re: default connections

Madhu enometh at meer.net
Sun Sep 28 01:34:48 UTC 2008

* "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <87iqsh5yer.fsf at freebits.de> :
Wrote on Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:47:08 +0200:

| I read "slime-cycle-connections" as
| "slime-cycle-default-connection". I'd use it when I've got a .lisp
| buffer open and want to test some things in it in different
| implementations.

I often wish to send forms for evaluation to different slime connections
when looking at a file, by switching default connections.  There is no
command in slime for cycling the default connection.  Looking at the
name I'd expect slime-cycle-connection to switch the global default
connection.

So I'm agreeing with tcr that a different command could be provided for
making the connection buffer local.  [then, at least I can reopen the
file if I want to use the default global connection for that file.]

Extrapolating from personal experience, I believe fewer surprises would
result from keeping one global default connection than buffer-local
slime connections.

The one scope of confusion in this mode of operation is when the default
connection disappears and the user is for some reason not aware of that
fact.  In the past the global default connection was automatically
changed to the next connection.  This could be made explicit involving
user prompting so the user is aware that the global default has changed.
[This would be no problem because SLIME is not shy in prompting the user
for input regarding connections in all other scenarios]

--
Madhu