[slime-devel] window-configuration

Madhu enometh at meer.net
Thu Sep 25 12:10:24 UTC 2008

I would request that all the slime window-configuration/restoration code
be moved to a contrib module.

By default slime could have a simple `bury-buffer on q' mechanism to get
rid of all windows.  The fancy window configuration/restoration should
work only if the contrib is loaded.

Emacs has many window and frame related variables that one can
customize, and display-functions that one can advise to make it work the
way one wants.  The current code (I suspect) makes particular
assumptions that are no doubt valid for the developers but these are
invalid in general.

I won't waste my breath on scenarios any more but slime always always
gets it wrong: getting back to the buffer I want usually takes 2-3
window/buffer rearrange commands.

Moving the window configuration stuff out of slime would also be a step
towards making much touted `simplicity' goals of slime a reality in the
code rather the "mailing list concept"

--
Madhu