[slime-devel] Re: Inspector doc

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Thu Sep 11 11:35:10 UTC 2008

* Madhu [2008-09-04 08:47+0200] writes:

> Helu, I'm having trouble using the inspector effectively: some objects
> are truncated, some lists are truncated etc.  These boil down to
> bindings of printer variables [the debug state, etc]
>
> Can the inspector related variables be documented, and the rationale
> spelt out as to which output is being truncated, why, and under what
> circumstances?

Some inspect methods call the pretty printer.  By default the inspector
sets *print-lines* to 1 and *print-right-margin* to 75.  Inspect methods
can rebind those.  The length of the "title" is limited to 200 chars.

> Could the hardcoded constants be documented as being
> hardcoded?

That's easy.  slime-inspector-limit is customizable, everything else is
hardcoded.

> I suspect this is not too much to ask if the new inspector is a
> "better thought out" replacement, the design could be explained in a
> few paragraphs in comments in the code or in a separate doc.  I think
> it is an important enough component of SLIME to define the behaviour
> outside of the code which implements it.

The final behavior is defined by the inspect methods, which are, in
general, backend specific.