[slime-devel] Patch: suppress duplicated frame variables (Allegro)

Geoff Wozniak geoff at wozniak.ca
Wed Jun 11 01:17:57 UTC 2008

On 10-Jun-08, at 7:07 PM, Willem Broekema wrote:
> But there is the opposite case: a user introducing a variable binding
> that has identical name and value as a parameter (or an outer
> binding). This patch could remove a duplicated line that the user
> expected to see twice.

As a regular user of Allegro + Slime, I'll join you in your labelling
of this as a frequent annoyance.  It can result in an unwieldy stack
frame in some instances making navigation confusing.

Furthermore, I have never come across the situation you describe, nor
would I engineer it.

> (Perhaps a better way to handle this, would be to include the
> "required" / "local" labels in the listing of the local variables?)

Perhaps, but I'm inclined to not show the duplicates at all.
Technically speaking, I think they should be there to prevent serious
confusion in the event the unlikely does happen, but I'd rather not
clutter up the display with them.

-- Geoff