[slime-devel] Re: interrupting REPL-launched thread in background

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Jul 5 11:53:56 UTC 2008

alistair gee <alistair.gee at gmail.com> writes:

> I normally use C-x C-e to execute a form. Since I use either SBCL
> (with threading enabled) or ACL, slime creates a new thread to execute
> the form (rather than executing the form in the REPL thread).
>
> Occasionally, I need to interrupt or debug the execution. I know that
> I can use slime-list-threads to see the list of threads. How do I
> determine which thread is the one that is executing my form? How do I
> interrupt that thread safely (so that the stack is unwound cleanly)?

In HEAD, `slime-list-threads' will now display a short summary of the
request that's currently executed in a thread created by SWANK.

It's currently only supported by the SBCL backend, as I don't use
ACL. If you want it to also be available for ACL, you have to implement
SWANK-BACKEND:THREAD-DESCRIPTION and SET-THREAD-DESCRIPTION in
swank-allegro.lisp. (Not difficult, and very welcomed!)

  -T.