[slime-devel] SLIME under Ubuntu 7.04 feisty

Stever steve at tripperjones.com
Thu Jul 3 18:31:49 UTC 2008

Hello,

Has anyone used SLIME with ubuntu 7.04 feisty? I am having trouble doing
it. I checked all over the web and couldn't find much. I am resorting to
asking someone on the maillist. If I find the answer, I'll post it up on
my blog for other's benefit.

Anyway, I installed lisp via conventional means:
sudo apt-get install clisp
sudo apt-get install slime

When I go into emacs and type "alt-x slime", I get the following error:
[1]>
*** - LOAD: A file with name
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/swank-loader.lisp does not exist
The following restarts are available:
ABORT :R1 ABORT

I have looked all over the internet and couldn't find the solution to
this problem. I tried another 7.04 machine and had the same problem. I
also tried altering my .emacs file as follows:
(setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/clisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime")
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

Still the same problem. Anyone know the answer?

- Steve