[slime-devel] Re: Operating on the swank readtable?

Alberto Riva ariva at ufl.edu
Thu Jan 17 16:56:43 UTC 2008

Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
> Alberto Riva <ariva at ufl.edu> wrote on 2007-05-17:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to define a few macro characters for use in the slime
>> top-level, but I can't figure out where to put the
>> SET-DISPATCH-MACRO-CHARACTER calls so that they affect the swank
>> readtable instead of the default one. I've tried putting them both in
>> my lisp initialization file and in .swank.lisp, but in both cases the
>> macro character is defined in the initial readtable and not in the
>> slime one (so it works in the *inferior-lisp* buffer, but not in the
>> slime-repl buffer). Thanks!
>
> The initial readtable should be the same readtable as the REPL readtable
> (if you haven't set *READTABLE* to something else and haven't touched
> swank:*readtable-alist*.) It's also the behaviour I'm seeing with SBCL.
>
> Does this issue still persist?

Under Allegro (ACL 8.1) with Slime 2007-09-14, *readtable* has two
different values in the Slime REPL and in the original one
(*inferior-lisp*). It seems that the Slime readtable gets created after
the initialization files are loaded, because whatever I put in them only
affects the original one, as I wrote above. I haven't had the time to
look in detail at where this happens, though. swank:*readtable-alist* is
NIL in both REPLs.

Thanks,

Alberto Riva
UF