[slime-devel] Re: SWANK-BACKEND:FIND-DEFINITIONS -- return value specification.

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Wed Feb 27 15:40:03 UTC 2008

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

> * Tobias C. Rittweiler [2008-02-25 01:08+0100] writes:
>
> > Do you prefer the explicit SOURCE-LOCATION machinery?
>
> Yes, for this application it would be the more direct path, because
> names/dspecs don't work well with anonymous objects.

So are you content with a SWANK-BACKEND:FIND-SOURCE-LOCATION which takes
an object and returns a list of source locations for the passed object
(i.e. let the backend deal with _all_ details)?

Should I implement a default implementation that goes the

  (swank-backend:find-definitions (guess-name thing))

path? (Without any sort of filtering afterwards; it may arguably be a
good enough default to provide every possible location than providing
nothing and erroring out instead---although the latter may force backend
implementators to actually take care about solving this rightly. So I'm
opting for no such default implementation.)

Or how would you like it to be implemented?

  -T.