[slime-devel] Re: SWANK-BACKEND:FIND-DEFINITIONS -- return value specification.

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Feb 23 11:07:56 UTC 2008

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

> Currently, we use the dspec part only for display purposes.  It would be
> good to find a useful application for these dspecs before spending too
> much time on them.

I've written a FIND-DEFINITION-FOR-THING that tries to find the
definition of the data structure behind an object. And I've got to rule
out definitions returned from FIND-DEFINITIONS which don't match.

For example:

  (find-definitions '(setf car))

may return definitions for a SETF-EXPANDER and for a SETF function
definition for CAR.

However,

  (find-definition-for-thing #'(setf car))

may only return the SETF function definition.

Objective is to provide a general Find Definition menu option for
presentations.

Does this count as useful application?

  -T.