[slime-devel] Re: Patch for ABCL GETPID implementation

Mark Evenson mark.evenson at gmx.at
Wed Feb 20 09:07:05 UTC 2008

Helmut Eller wrote:
> * Mark Evenson [2008-01-23 12:18+0100] writes:
>
>> Apparently PPID for the parent process id is not a standard feature of
>> the Bourne shell (or at least it isn't present under solaris-5.11).
>>
>> Attached is a patch to my ABCL GETPID implementation that uses
>> HANDLER-CASE to return '0' if any error is raised in attempting to
>> getpid().
>
> I think we could always return 0 and get rid of the entire mess.  The
> pid is only needed for implementations for which we use Unix signals
> to interrupt the Lisp process.  For ABCL we use threads and not
> signals.

[Sorry about the late response].

A possible Use Case for leaving the PID code in: knowing the PID of the
JVM that the SLIME it attached to allows one to distinguish which JVM
has "gone off the reservation" when running multiple instances of ABCL.
  It also allows debugging/profiling tools to be quickly attached to the
running instance.  Of course, the PID can be found by other means, but
it does seem somewhat useful.

But, it's basically your codebase, so if you think the GETPID
DEFIMPLEMENTATION is a mess, you're going to remove it aren't you?

Thanks for listening,

--
<Mark.Evenson at gmx.at>

"[T]his is not a disentanglement from, but a progressive knotting into."