[slime-devel] Re: requiring swank after loading slime gives a type error in sbcl-1.0.14

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sat Feb 16 19:03:38 UTC 2008

* Matthew D.Swank [2008-02-16 10:08+0100] writes:

> Matthew Swank <akopa.gmane.poster <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Observe:
>>
>> ; SLIME 2008-02-10
>> STYLE-WARNING:
>>    redefining EMACS-INSPECT (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS FUNCTION>) in DEFMETHOD
>> CL-USER> (require :swank)

>> debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-TYPE-ERROR: *PACKAGE* can't be a deleted package:
>> *PACKAGE* has been reset to #<PACKAGE "COMMON-LISP-USER">.
>>

> The reason this matters (to me at least), is that it makes Stefil impossible to
> use for interactive testing as Stefil expects that:
>     1. I am interacting with my lisp using slime.
>     2. It can include swank and a system dependency.
>
> I am a little surprised that no one else reported a problem.

I disabled the delete-package stuff in the CVS version.  Deleting old
packages was supposed to avoid confusing error messages, but it is
actually more confusing than not to deleting them.  There's a new
function

    swank-loader:init &key delete reload

which can be called with :delete t to force the deletion.
By default it doesn't delete anything.  By default, it also doesn't
reload swank, if the swank package already exists.