[slime-devel] Re: make swank safe if loaded into an image with an older version of swank in the image

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Mon Feb 4 16:04:03 UTC 2008

Madhu <enometh at meer.net> writes:

> * Marco Baringer <87r6ftszlo.fsf at arsenic.bese.it> :
> | ok, since we even suggest doing this is the documentation i will stop
> | deleting the swank-loader package (but i'll keep deleting the other
> | packages unless you can convince me otherwise).
>
> It is still a bad idea for the same reason.  Variables set earlier in
> the session in the other packages will be wiped out of you delete the
> package.  Definitely not what I want when I want DEFVAR to behave as
> specified on reloading.

well, the entire point of the patch is remove defvars from the swank
package. if you have an older slime in an image and attempt to load a
newer slime and the defvars don't get reset you'll a totally broken
slime and very confusing error messages.

do you often load slime into an image which already has slime built-in?

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.