[slime-devel] weak hash tables and presentation

Geo Carncross geocar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 03:57:40 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've been looking over adding weak hashtable support to ECL, when I
took a closer look at slime's use of them. Maybe they were used more
aggressively in the past, but now they seem to only be used by the
presentation contrib. I'm not sure they're necessary for that- as long
as they're in the REPL shouldn't the presentation keep an extra
reference to them? Perhaps a better way to deal with this is to have
slime indicate what objects its holding and/or clear this buffer when
it stops using them. This might better belong in a per-connection
thing, and I wanted some advise on this before I started hacking on
this.

Are the weak hashtables legacy? Are they going to be used in
preparation for something? Is this the only part that needs dealing
with? Would it be better still to add weak hashtables to ECL anyway.