[slime-devel] Re: Automatic shrinking of windows (slime-documentation, etc)?

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Feb 1 21:33:59 UTC 2008

* Ivar Refsdal [2008-01-30 17:48+0100] writes:

> I have a simple question. Is it possible to run
> (shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer)
>
> when running such commands as slime-documentation?
> Could this feature or option perhaps be added to Slime?

I guess your Emacs frame is pretty high, or why do you want to shrink
the window?

The standard Emacs documentation commands (for Emacs Lisp) don't shrink
the window and I would like to follow that model.  Thinking about it,
Emacs 23 has a new macro with-help-window, maybe we should use that and
ask the Emacs maintainers to add an option to shrink the window.  They
already added a new option help-window-select.

> I've tried with defadvice, but no luck yet.

slime-with-output-to-temp-buffer is a macro, that could be a problem for
defadvice.

>  At the moment I've simply
>inserted a shrink-window-if..  call into the macro
>slime-with-output-to-temp-buffer. That works, however that macro is
>used by a bunch of other things, so it might (or will) break other
>things.

Yeah, slime-with-output-to-temp-buffer is already very complicated.
It's no fun to change it.