[slime-devel] problem with slime from cvs head and sbcl 1.0.23

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Mon Dec 29 17:14:23 UTC 2008

* Luis Oliveira [2008-12-29 15:28+0100] writes:

> Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:
>
>> * GP lisper [2008-12-28 23:50+0100] writes:
>>
>>> Then again, the easiest software to maintain is the one with zero users.
>>
>> That, and the software which is maintained by other people.
>
> Heh. That's true. I take it that you're not interested in maintaining
> any of the contribs?

Yes, mostly.  Fixing bugs in contribs has rather low priority for me.

> I would like to propose a process to support the
> contribs without getting in your way: let's have some sort of contrib
> maintainer than can test the contribs and tag the tree as FAIRLY_STABLE
> (or something similar) at regular intervals.
>
> I could think of some people better prepared for this task, but if no
> one else is interested and this turns out to be a good idea, I'm
> volunteering for this task.

If you want do to that, more power to you!

> Given a comprehensive test suite this process could be completely
> automatic. (See Factor's build system for a nice example of this.)

Yes, automatic testing sounds like a good strategy.  I think that a test
server which runs the test suite once a day and sends the result to this
mailing list would be quite useful (not only for contribs).