[slime-devel] emacs-nt+slime+cygwin+clisp: how to set the DISPLAY variable?

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Wed Dec 24 07:39:17 UTC 2008

* Mirko Vukovic [2008-12-24 04:39+0100] writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am running emacs +slime (2008-09-28) on windows and clisp on cygwin.
>
> I would like to use gnuplot.  If I call gnuplot from clisp which comes
> with cygwin, it opens a gnuplot window.
>
> But not if I call it from slime. gnuplot states : unable to open
> display ''.  Looking at environment variables that Emacs gets and
> passes to subprocesses, there is no DISPLAY variable.  So it seems
> that gnuplot did not get a value of DISPLAY.
>
> I guess I could create a windows variable DISPLAY so that emacs
> inherits it and passes it to its subprocesses (and clisp).  But is
> there a way to do that from within slime?

In Emacs, you can use the function setenv to create an environment
variable.  At least on Unix, it's also passed down to subprocesses.

Alternatively, you could use gnuplot's -display command line option.
CLISP also seems to have a SYS::SETENV function.

If you use the slime-lisp-implementations variable, you can also modify
the environment that is used for the subprocess.  But the other options
are probably simpler.