[slime-devel] text properties in REPL

Madhu enometh at meer.net
Sat Dec 20 10:32:59 UTC 2008

* Helmut Eller <m2myesh5ov.fsf at common-lisp.net> :
Wrote on Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:31:28 +0100:

| But apparently you aren't willing to repeat your arguments so that I
| have chance to understand what you mean.  I don't keep a record what
| every complainer has said a half year ago.

OK. If I've already spent the time in making the point before, and it
must be available on the list I'd prefer to avoid repeating myself.  I'm
not sure what "arguments" you are referring to here.

In this thread I asked (regarding SLIME history)
,----
| Then how about making it easier for alternative implementations to be
| used instead of the one that is provided with slime?
`----

I've outlined how I think that can be done with minimum impact in my
reply to Michael Weber, I hope it is clear.  (Mathew Swank did not get
it).  If it is still not clear what I'm asking for, please ask.

The specifics of the history behaviour are not relevant.  But FTR they
were discussed in Jan 2007.  I suggested splitting on 12 Aug 2007 in the
"[RfC] Reorganization of source" thread.  Since then the contrib
packages have been moved out.  Now once again I believe that a start can
be made in cutting down SLOC in slime.el by moving out the history
component and completion component.

It is not hard to move the history functions to a sepearate file.  The
first time I did it, I posted a message on this mailing list on 13 Jul
2007 with the "load me over patch" to get a different behaviour .  But
this is a pointless and time-wasting exercise to repeat unless you agree
to support it, like you factored out contrib.

--
Madhu