[slime-devel] text properties in REPL

Michael Weber michaelw+slime at foldr.org
Fri Dec 19 08:20:46 UTC 2008

On Dec 19, 2008, at 01:56 , Madhu wrote:

> | slime.el is already beyond the 10000 LOC limit and I'm more
> interested
> | to bring that down to 9000 than to add more stuff.
>
> The specific proposal here was to factor out completion, history
> etc. so
> they can either use vanilla emacs facilities instead of the
> idiosyncractic behaviour you happened to code up and impose on us.
>
> This is not the first time you are ignoring the point made and
> sticking
> to your views.  However I don't mind persisting because the intention
> and hope is SLIME should improve.
>
> | It would be more
> | effective if you would make a proposal how to reduce the number of
> | lines instead of the usual complaining how bad SLIME is.

Madhu,

the "specific proposal" could be in the form of you setting up a
fork.  You can show, in code, how you would like to see SLIME behave,
and others have the chance to try it out and also to contribute.  When
there is something to compare, we can think of how to fold it back
into SLIME.

FWIW, I have no complaints about the history behavior, but sometimes
the completion and window handling gets into my way, too.  I have some
local adjustments in place for quite some time now.  I don't actually
know how much different vanilla SLIME is still.  They are rather ad-
hoc (not configurable) but a VCS (in my case a clone of Andreas Fuchs'
git mirror) makes maintenance of my changes quite painless.

--
Cheers,
Michael