[slime-devel] hacking system internals from Slime

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Mon Dec 1 08:50:07 UTC 2008

Here's a workflow issue that I run into periodically:

1. While working on SBCL I instrument some internal operation to see
what is going on -- let's say with BREAK.

2. Before I can run my test-case I need to page my way thru a number
of debugger entries (sometimes a HUGE number) due to eg. cursor
movement in a Lisp buffer causing the instrumented operation to be
used.

I'm not looking for a 100% solution, because I doubt anything like
that exists. Hacking a live system is always tricky that way...

An 80% solution might be being able to tell Slime to stop talking to
the lisp, except for communications triggered by explicit REPL
evaluations. Does this sound like a feasible idea? Any other
suggestions?

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus