[slime-devel] Re: Threading warnings on SBCL 1.0.19 Darwin x86

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Wed Aug 27 18:01:44 UTC 2008

* Scott Bell [2008-08-26 22:00+0200] writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm receiving the following warning messages in the *slime-repl sbcl*
> buffer after
> updating to the latest CVS yesterday:
>
> WARNING:
>    Releasing #S(SB-THREAD:MUTEX
>                 :NAME NIL
>                 :%OWNER NIL
>                 :LUTEX #<unknown pointer object, widetag=#x5E
> {120B1017}>), owned by another thread: NIL
>
> This message occurs many times a second and quickly populates the
> buffer with
> thousands of lines. I was able to reproduce this issue with SBCL
> 1.0.18 and 1.0.19
> on Darwin x86 (Mac OS X 10.5.4).

Could you do me a favor?
Do you also see the warning for a simple test case like this:

(progn
  (defvar *mutex* (sb-thread:make-mutex))
  (defvar *waitqueue* (sb-thread:make-waitqueue))
  (loop
   (sb-thread:with-mutex (*mutex*)
     (format t "sleeping..~%")
     (sleep 0.1)
     (handler-case (sb-ext:with-timeout 0.2
		     (sb-thread:condition-wait *waitqueue* *mutex*))
       (sb-ext:timeout ())))))

If so, could you report it as a SBCL bug?
And if you are at it, also convince the SBCL gods that CONDITION-WAIT
should take a timeout argument directly, because that would be more
efficient and less problematic than WITH-TIMEOUT.  Thanks.