[slime-devel] Port File and Dedicated SLIME Instance

Volkan YAZICI yazicivo at ttmail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:20:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

[Sorry if this question was asked before. I couldn't find something
related in the archives.]

When I start SLIME with `M-x slime' in emacs, below lines appear in the
*inferior-lisp* buffer:

  (progn
   (load "/home/vy/elisp/slime/swank-loader.lisp" :verbose t)
   (funcall (read-from-string "swank-loader:init"))
   (funcall (read-from-string "swank:start-server")
            "/tmp/slime.2951"
            :coding-system "utf-8-unix"))

  This is SBCL 1.0.19.27, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
  WARNING: These Swank interfaces are unimplemented:
   (CALLS-WHO DISASSEMBLE-FRAME SLDB-BREAK-AT-START SLDB-BREAK-ON-RETURN
              WHO-SPECIALIZES)
  ;; Swank started at port: 56586.
  ;; SWANK: sb-thread::get-foreground ...
  56586
  *

First problem is SLIME doesn't place `/tmp/slime.<emacs-pid>' file.

1. Do I need to turn some variable on to make SLIME write the port
   number its accepting connections from to the port file?

Then I start a second emacs instance and try to connect the related
swank session using `M-x slime-connect'. (Such a thing is possible,
isn't it?) But emacs complains that

  make client process failed: connection refused, :name, SLIME Lisp,
  :buffer, nil, :host, 127.0.0.1, :service, 5658

Then I kill (C-x k) my initial *slime-repl sbcl* buffer (typing `y' in
the prompt asking me if I am sure that I want to close the existing
connections too). This time emacs complains with the same error message
as above and below lines appear in the *inferior-lisp* buffer.

  ; swank:close-connection: end of file on #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "a socket" {1003442631}>

Furthermore, in any of the above cases `netstat -plunt' doesn't produce
any output related with sbcl process.

2. How can I start SLIME on a dedicated TCP/IP socket?

3. Is it possible to connect to a single swank session using multiple
   client (SLIME) connections?

4. How can I make my swank session to not close its listener after one
   of clients disconnects? (Or in other words, how can I pass
   ":DONT-CLOSE T" option SWANK:START-SERVER within emacs?

Regards.