[slime-devel] Re: Debugging "Lisp connection closed unexpectedly" events?

Dave Roberts ldave at droberts.com
Tue Aug 5 07:56:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 09:12 +0200, Helmut Eller wrote:
> * Dave Roberts [2008-08-05 08:51+0200] writes:
>
> > Any suggestions for where to start looking? My gut says that there is a
> > particular character or something like that in the page that SWANK can't
> > return over the channel to SLIME/Emacs. I'm not sure how to debug it,
> > though, since SWANK kills the connection with extreme prejudice. Does
> > SWANK create any sort of log file anywhere, or can I enable it to do so?
>
> Yes, sounds like a character encoding problem.  Maybe using utf-8
> would solve it.
>
> There should be some error messages in the *inferior-lisp* buffer.  This
> includes the condition, (sometimes) the backtrace, and the last few
> exchanged messages.  Non-ascii chars are escaped with \xCODE.
>
> If there's nothing in the *inferior-lisp* buffer, try to look at the
> *slime-events* buffer or set swank:*log-events* to t.

Yup, in *inferior-lisp*, I see \x2026 characters in the string it was
trying to return.

How would I use UTF-8? Is the problem on the Emacs side or the SWANK
side?

(and as an aside, if SWANK can return all the logging info which ends up
in *inferior-lisp*, how come it chokes when trying to return the same
data as part of the standard REPL protocol?)

-- Dave