[slime-devel] Slime and Unicode

Denys Rtveliashvili rtvd at mail.ru
Wed Sep 5 03:58:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have tried the latest version of Slime from CVS and found that it does
not like Unicode. When I try to do something like

    (format nil "<unicode text goes here>")

It reports an error that the characters can not be presented in
iso-latin-1-unix encoding.

However, when I changed "slime.el" a bit by adding utf-8-unix

    (defvar slime-net-coding-system
      (find-if 'slime-find-coding-system
               '(utf-8-unix iso-latin-1-unix iso-8859-1-unix binary))
      "*Coding system used for network connections.
    See also `slime-net-valid-coding-systems'.")

it started to work just fine.

Is there any good reason for using Latin-1 instead of UTF-8? If not,
perhaps somebody could patch the Slime to support Unicode in REPL by
default?

With kind regards,
Denys Rtveliashvili