[slime-devel] Re: ABCL patches for SLIME HEAD

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Mon Sep 3 17:32:51 UTC 2007

Mark Evenson <mark.evenson at gmx.at> writes:

> o  does not attempt to automatically compile the files in the SLIME
> contrib' directory, as ABCL never returns when asked to compile
> contrib/swank-arglists.lisp'

Just a guess, but what I could imagine that
`parse-first-valid-form-spec' in swank-arglist.lisp could possibly be
the culprit, as it uses the "mapping on several lists, one being
circular" trick:

  (mapcar #'+ '(1 2 3 4) '#1=(10 . #1#))

I'd expect this one to return (11 12 13 14), but closely rereading the
CLHS entry for the mapping functions, reveals that those are actually
only defined for /proper lists/.

Is this something one could (and should?) reasonably expect to be de
facto portable behaviour? IOW, am I to blame, or is ABCL?

I figure that at least LOOP's for-as-in-list clause could be
meaningfully used in the above manner. So rewriting the code in question
is no problem. Still, it's something I'd like to find out what's the
commonly shared opinion about this.

  -T.