[slime-devel] Re: [BUG] slime-apropos with invalid regexes

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Thu Nov 22 21:51:09 UTC 2007

* Michael Weber [2007-11-22 09:12+0100] writes:

> Hi,
>
> With a CVS snapshot of SLIME (19.11.), M-x slime-apropos * RET  makes
> my sbcl spin with 100% CPU.  Interrupting it in the REPL (C-c C-c)
> brings it back.
>
> "*" is, of course, not a valid regex, but I'd appreciate a better
> indication of the error.

Yeah, that's annoying.  I'm wondering whether we should use regexps at
all.  Since certain naming conventions, like *foo* +bar+ baz?,
conflict with regexp syntax it's quite likely to step into that
situation.  It seems to me, that I use simple string matching in 95%
of all cases.  Occasionally, I have to search around in the apropos
buffer, but that's acceptable.

Do you feel a need regexps?