[slime-devel] Slime behavior different (SBCL vs CMUCL)?

Jeff Cunningham jeffrey at cunningham.net
Thu Nov 22 17:05:38 UTC 2007

Hi;

When I first started using Slime I was using CMUCL. One of the features
I really appreciated was that when running a program under Slime I could
modify and recompile a defun and it would take effect the next time it
was called by the running program. I subsequently switched to using
SBCL, but when I did I seemed to lose this ability to recompile while
running. The C-c C-c commands would queue up an not execute until the
program finished.

But recently I setup Hunchentoot daemon with Swank in a core image that
when run allows me to slime-connect, and when I do so I find that I can
recompile stuff and have it take effect without killing the running
process. This makes me wonder if there isn't some way to do this under
Slime after all.

Clearly I don't fully understand the interactions between Slime, Swank
and the inferior lisp. Is there another way I can launch SBCL from
within Slime so it works the way CMUCL used to?

Thanks.

--Jeff