[slime-devel] Re: asdf-install:install -- slimes creation of debug message "Try some command like gpg --recv-keys $key [..]"

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Nov 16 22:08:00 UTC 2007

* whooey1830 at web.de [2007-11-16 16:04+0100] writes:

> Hello,
>
> latest sbcl and slime return the following debugger message when doing (asdf-install:install :$package)
> (the fact that the gpg key is not in the keyring is not the problem in this issue):
>
> No key found for key id 0x#1=886A220F86321D48.  Try some command like
>   gpg  --recv-keys 0x#1#
>    [Condition of type ASDF-INSTALL::KEY-NOT-FOUND]
>

> However if you do the same in 'pure' sbcl you get the message:
>
> debugger invoked on a ASDF-INSTALL::KEY-NOT-FOUND in thread #<THREAD "initial thread" {A7BD411}>:
>   No key found for key id 0x886A220F86321D48.  Try some command like
>   gpg  --recv-keys 0x886A220F86321D48
>
> Only the later provides a valid command which can be pasted by the user into another terminal f.e..
>
> Is slime's behaviour intended?

Well, no.  The reason is simply that we set *print-circle* in the
debugger and apparently vanilla SBCL doesn't.  You could customize
that by modifying swank:*sldb-printer-bindings*.

It could be a good idea to modify SLIME to use (fairly) standard
settings to print the condition message and use
swank:*sldb-printer-bindings* only for the backtrace.